Facing your fears & Finishing your fight

 photo 9e50435e-56ea-473f-842e-c56416fc460d_zpsqbgs6qa4.jpg

It has been quite a while since my last update, and it was because I was training for a competition. Just a heads up, this post will be different than the food & travel which i normally blog about.

So why the title facing your fears and finishing your fight? These are the topics which Pastor Kevin preached about in his previous services. Oh yeah, I'm back to church! Haha!

City Harvest Church organized an event called Euphoria, where different colleges and universities are teamed into tribes, and there'll be a series of sporting events and competitions which will determine the winning tribe. It is a 3 month long event, and it ends with the highlight, which is the Parade of Schools (POS) . The Parade of Schools is actually a combination of cheerleading, dance and creativity where each tribe can show off their awesome routine

I was invited by Tiffany and Adele to join Olympus Tribe, which mainly consisted of the local universities. I actually hesitated to join it, because I actually retired from cheer for few reasons. I know training would be intense, and it'll take out a lot of my time, and the main reason is because of the previous injuries I got from cheer in the past. I injured my coccyx area pretty badly, which forced me to quit in the past.

Getting back to cheer wasn't easy as pretty much the fear was there, but after some persuasion from the people I love, I decided to face my fears and compete one more time!


 photo 13626960_10157146974770054_2305468433604017417_n_zpsfljxk35t.jpg
Training once again


 photo IMG-20160808-WA0030_zpsshboetny.jpg
Random makans session


 photo IMG_7326_zpswyih8bs1.jpg
With Tiffy

We were the underdogs as our team consisted of 90% with no cheer experience and the other teams had at least half the team made of cheerleaders from professional teams. So our strategy was to create a simple routine but keeping it clean and tight! 

We had 2 months of vigorous training, and just a week before the competition, disaster struck. One of our members had to pull out due to a wrist injury, Luckily enough we were able to get an old POS member to join in and he managed to catch up with the routine

Another part is that I got myself injured while I was flipping. It was so bad because I fell on my neck, and my whole back and arm went numb for a whole 5 minutes. Even after that and the days that followed, My arm felt weak as I couldn't lift the flyers like i used to, and it hasn't recovered until now actually. (I'm going for chiro these days to fix it)

Came the day of the competition, Everything was tense, I personally was scared as the pressure was high, and i was right in the middle of the opening stunt, just imagine if that failed because of my weak right arm and jeopardizing the rest of the routine. I just had a bad feeling about it, but I just gave one last prayer, God, give me the strength of 10 men to recover if it fails. All I wanted was to finish my fight


 photo group 1_zpsussdqpdy.jpg
The Olympus Team


 photo IMG_7539_zpse04nwio2.jpg
With Leonard & Arden

We went up the stage and our performance started, and true enough, my stunt had a shakiness to it with Tiffy nearly falling off my single base, but by his grace I was able to recover and all my stunts went up

We had a nearly perfect routine, with only 2 other stunt groups falling, but all in all, we gave our best and I was so proud of what our team has achieved

Check out the video here:





 photo IMG_7431_zpsklyvmurq.jpg
Basket Tosses

 photo 14095715_663226563824355_1149537515485833016_n_zpsbfbgej8u.jpg
Our ending Pyramid


Coming to the results, We didn't manage to be the champions for this year, but we were so close! We got 1st runner up with just a difference of 5 points! I couldn't be happier as we achieved so much when we were facing giants. 


 photo IMG_8907_zpsaveluktl.jpg
Dabbbbb

 photo IMG_7537_zps2v7c0vbu.jpg
Random photos


 photo IMG_7607_zpshljaql0d.jpg
with ex captain, Juyinn

 photo IMG_9072_zps6je3i5yj.jpg
With Pastor Kevin


Even though we weren't the champions, the team I had were already champions to me and all the new friendships I have with these awesome people is worth more than gold medals


 photo 14141850_10157425155200054_3107088584479533473_n_zpscuvmgujs.jpg

And I know, that I have faced my fears and finished my fight.

How about you? 
Challenge yourself as it is definitely the most rewarding thing you'll get!

Comments